U.S. Senate Will Vote on a Constitutional Amendment
- Host an Ice Cream for Democracy Party: Sign up to host an Ice Cream for Democracy party. It can be at your home, a cafe, a library or any other community center. Once you sign up five people to attend your party, let us know and we will send you three free coupons for Ben & Jerry’s Ice Cream to help sweeten the deal. At these parties, we will make a plan for the month of August to ensure that senators hear our support for an amendment while they are home in your state.
- September Action Event: The amendment will be put to a full-Senate vote in September; now is the time to start mobilizing actions to get the word out about this important vote. Start planning actions now; Labor Day would be a perfect day to promote and work for a better democracy! And if you are too excited to wait for Labor Day, you can start your actions earlier! Read more about these events and afterwards sign-up to be a part of these great actions!
- Letters to the Editor: Write a 250-word piece for your local newspaper supporting this constitutional amendment and for thanking your senators for co-sponsoring. You can also use this letter as an opportunity to urge your senator(s) who have yet to co-sponsor or to educate people on this proposed 28th amendment. Here are some sample letters you could use to draft yours. And remember: the sooner you send it in, the better! Send a link to your article when it is printed to email@example.com.
- Organizational Sign on Letter: Dozens of organizations have urged senators to co-sponsor this amendment. Take a look at the letter! If your organization would like to join, email Margrete at firstname.lastname@example.org to be added.
- Check Out Pictures of Independence Day Events: While senators were back in their respective states for the week of Fourth of July, our activists on July 2nd and 3rd went to their senators district offices to thank or protest around the democratic issue of money in politics and some even marched in their town’s local parade! Look to see some of the great patriotic events that happened in your area! (Didn’t see your event on our site? Send us a report back and we would be happy to share it!)